Monday, December 10, 2007

Reflection Paper: Why Seton Hill

On Saturdays, I rise before the rest of the house, apply make up for the first time all week, and escape before my husband or children can barrage me with requests for cooking waffles or searching for soccer cleats. While driving the familiar 16 miles to Greensburg, I listen to NPR or PBS (what a nice change from the “Sponge Bob” theme song) and catch up on current happenings or listen to soothing classical music. Once I turn off the busy road to ascend the long, windy, tree-lined driveway, my tense posture relaxes (you know that feeling when you no longer have a child or two metaphorically connected to your hip). I marvel at the sight of the old Hogwarts-like buildings, the serene gardens, and the “ohm”-quietness of the place. I park in my favorite spot and soon others silently join me as we huff and puff up the seemingly unending temple-like stairs (my exercise for the week). And so begins “me” time.

Like many others (I am finding), I did not finish college straight out of high school. It was not that I could not or did not want to be in college. I was unable to narrow down my broad interests and commit to a program of study. After taking classes in Anthropology, Studio Art, Computer Programming, Cosmetology, and Graphic Design, I became even more confused about my calling in life. Maybe I could be an archaeologist that specialized in the creation of computer animated dinosaur documentaries (and do nails on the side). Disheartened (especially since that was before the time of much computer animation), I eventually followed the advice of my father and began taking business classes at the community college for the sake of practicality.

Business filled my need for variety. At first, the classes seemed easy, but then I realized it was because they were second nature. Eventually they became more challenging, but they always “clicked” with me. After achieving my associate’s degree in 2005 (11 years after graduating from high school), I realized it was not enough. I wanted more. So, I began searching for four year colleges.

Initially, I thought I would return to the University of Pittsburgh. There was a campus close to me and at least I could count on transferring in those classes I took back right out of high school. I scheduled a visit to Pitt Greensburg and eventually registered for classes. Maybe it was because I was 10+ years older than most of students or maybe it was the slow and impersonal response from the financial aid department, but in the fall of 2005, I got cold feet and decided to drop my classes.

That same fall, I took a job as an office manager at a tax preparation franchise. While I enjoyed my work and my coworkers, the prospect of working for ten dollars an hour for the rest of my life with limited responsibility was depressing. Because it never really paid for me to work to begin with, we decided to squeeze in one more child before I made a commitment to a long term career. We always wanted three kids and I certainly was not getting any younger. Soon I would have another little one on the way and a guaranteed long-standing gig as a stay at home mom.

Experiencing pregnancy hormones and a 30th birthday crisis, I had a moment of panic and applied to Seton Hill University while five months pregnant. While I hardly knew a thing about Seton Hill, I just went with my instinct, perhaps for the first time in my life. I met with an academic advisor (who was kind, sweet, and personable), registered for a few classes, and waited for August 23, 2006 – my first class, three weeks prior to the scheduled induction of my third child.

While I had contacted my Hebrew Scriptures professor in advance to inform him of the situation, I don’t think it actually registered with him until I walked into class 8 ½ months pregnant. My round belly wouldn’t fit into the little desk so I had to turn the entire unit sideways in order to face the front of the class. As I had Saturday afternoon classes that semester, I could not avoid being seen by traditional students and I encountered more than a few raised eyebrows. My classmates, however, acted as though it was business as usual.

If it had not been for my fellow adult students, I wouldn’t have lasted. Imagine going back to school at 30, 40, or even 50 amongst 18 and 20 year olds. Many of us have kids and most of us have jobs. We all complain about our workload and lack of time. We share hints about what a certain professor looks for in a presentation and whom we liked best for certain classes. We lend money to each other when the vending machine is being finicky. When one of us misses a class you can count on another student copying the notes and filling you in on the lecture. Students in the Adult Degree Program are my friends and my support group. I trust them, I enjoy them, and I feel compelled to support them as they have supported me. They are like family.

Now as I prepare for my last year at Seton Hill as an undergrad student, I look back on my progress, my experiences, and my growth as a person. Because I had so many years of work experience, I never understood the necessity to obtain a Bachelor’s degree. Now that I am almost finished, I made the decision to seek my Master’s degree. The combination of liberal arts core classes (history, science, math, the arts, and religion) has made me a well-rounded person (and fun at parties). No amount of time spent on the job can make up for this fundamental learning experience. It becomes embedded into your person.

What have I gained from my time at Seton Hill? I am sure I cannot even begin to comprehend all that I have been given. I have matured. I have learned. I have thought. I have applied. I have created. I have commitment. I have confidence. I have a chance. Thank you, SHU.

.